If you’re new to vaping or considering making the switch, we’ve put together a top 5 list of troubles that some new vapers experience in an effort to help you avoid those same mistakes.
Finding Your Flavour
Flavoured e-cigarettes have been shown to be a key component in helping adult smokers successfully transition from combustible tobacco to e-cigarettes. With all the choice on the market for e-liquid flavours it can be a little daunting to figure out where to start. I would suggest following these two simple steps to significantly narrow the options to something more palatable (pun intended).
- Tobacco or not tobacco: Decide if you want to minimize the amount of change by sticking with a tobacco flavour or if you’d prefer to go as far away from tobacco as possible and looking something sweet or fruity.
- Be Specific: If you walk into a vape shop looking for a strawberry flavour, you’ll still likely be faced with an overwhelming number of options. Define what you’re looking for more, such as a Candied Strawberry, Artificial Strawberry, Fresh Strawberry or something more complex like Strawberry Cheesecake. With exception to savory flavours, if you can think of it, it probably exists.
Armed with this information, you’ll feel less overwhelmed by the wall of e-liquid and probably have 2 or 3 really good options suggested to you. Also check out our Fast Flavour Finder for a great place to start.
Like with any electronic device, it will take time getting in the habit of remembering to charge your e-cigarette or batteries. Plan ahead and avoid charging your batteries or e-cigarette overnight. Having a backup device so you can charge for a couple hours during the day while your main device is refuling is a great idea.
Initial Cost of Necessary Add Ons
In most cases, the person on the other side of the counter who is helping you find your next device is probably a vaper themselves. Even if they aren’t, they see on a daily basis how vapers use their product and what problems can be easily avoided. The cost of a big mod can be a bit pricy, but skipping out on a charging station is a bad way to try and save money. If the person assisting you suggests not using the USB to charge a larger device, it’s probably because they’re trying to save you the headache in the future. It may sound like an upsell to you at the time, but you’ll kick yourself later for not heeding the advice.
Some units come with a dial on the base of the tank to adjust the amount of airflow. If your device comes with this, play around with it a bit to see what feels right for you. New users may find a higher amount of airflow makes for a lighter inhale but is also a little less effective in satisfying any nicotine cravings. Going from cigarettes to e-cigarettes can be a bit of an adjustment because water vapour is heavier than smoke.
As mentioned above, Water Vapour is heavier than smoke and can take some getting used to. That might not be the only thing that triggers a cough though. Check out some of these things to look at to ensure you have the right product for you.
- If your device has this option, try lowering the temperature setting. Setting this too high can be a shock for some people and is a very simple change to make to see if that helps.
- If your device doesn’t have a temp setting, you can also lower the wattage/voltage. This will product less vapour and could take a few tries to find where the right balance is.
- It is also possible that the nicotine strength you’ve started with is too high. If you feel a cough is being triggered because of a harsh feeling in your throat, a lower nicotine strength could be just the thing you need.
- Experienced vapers have also reported that using a nicotine strength that is too low could trigger a cough from them as well.
- Failing all of that, switching between Salt Nicotine to Freebase Nicotine could also help. Salt Nicotine satisfies the cravings faster but is in a higher nic strengths than freebase counterparts and could feel harsh. The inverse could also work; everyone is different.
I hope this list helps new vapers in their transition. Remember that everyone is different and tailoring your experience is the first step in successfully dropping combustible tobacco.
True North Vapor